October 17, 2012
Did You Know…
– that, in the absence of Canadian Law, abortion is permitted during all nine months of pregnancy. This includes surgical and suction dilation and curettage, saline, prostaglandin and ‘other’ methods.
– that 25.6% of women undergoing an abortion in hospital have had at least one previous abortion (16.0% had one previous abortion and 9.6% had two or more abortions). For 27.4% of women undergoing a hospital abortion, the number of previous abortions is unknown. These percentages exclude the province of Quebec as data is not available for Quebec and is not available for clinics. (From Table 6: Induced Abortions reported in hospital-2019 report-Canadian Institute for Health Information (CIHI)
– that almost 300 abortions occur each day in Canada. CIHI reported that 83,576 induced abortions were performed in Canada in 2019. The total number of abortions is much higher given that for Ontario, CIHI reports 27,911 abortions. Through a Freedom of Information request, we learn that the Ontario Ministry of Health and Long Term Care reported 46,189 abortions for the province. The CIHI statistics are missing 18,278 abortions. Therefore the total for 2019 should be 101,854 abortions.
– that one abortion increases a woman’s risk of breast cancer, depression and suicide.
– that 1,722 abortions were performed on girls age 17 years or less. 18,879 abortions were performed on women in the 18-24 age group. 20,458 abortions were performed on women age 25-29. The age group is unknown for thousands of abortions. (see CIHI Table 2 Induced Abortions Reported in Canada in 2019)
– that an Ontario study of 41,039 women during the three-month period after abortion revealed that these women had a more than four times higher rate of hospitalizations for infections, a five times higher rate of ‘surgical events’, and a nearly five times higher rate of hospitalization for psychiatric problems, than the matching group of women who had not had abortions. (College of Physicians and Surgeons of Ontario 2001 – American Journal of Medical Quality – June 2001 Issue)
– that many women who have abortions feel coerced or pressured to do so by their boyfriends.
– that ultrasounds, intra uterine photographs and medical advances have provided us with increased knowledge of the development of the unborn child.
– that 31.6% of hospital abortions (excluding Quebec) occur at 8 weeks or less when an unborn child’s heart is beating, brain waves are detected and ultrasounds have shown them moving their arms and legs, and a further 29.3% of hospital abortions (excluding Quebec) occur at 9-12 weeks when the child also has fingerprints, urinates, squints, swallows, wrinkles its forehead, sleeps, wakes and exercises, and that 9.1% of hospital abortions (excluding Quebec) occur at 13-16 weeks when the child also has fine hair, is eight to ten inches long and can hear. Finally, that 4.7% of hospital abortions occur at 17-20 weeks when the child can be startled by sudden noise. 4.0% of hospital abortions occur at 21 weeks or more. Gestational age is unknown for 21.3% of abortions in hospital and unknown for all clinical abortions. CIHI states: “Information on gestational age is not available from clinic data or Quebec Data.” (Table 4 Induced Abortions Reported by Canadian Hospitals (excluding Quebec) in 2019, by gestational age. Canadian Institute for Health Information, Induced Abortions Reported in Canada in 2019.
– that the statistics do not include the number of ‘medical abortions’, that is abortion using the abortion pill regime Mifegymiso.
Source, Alliance for Life Ontario.
Leave A Comment